New York News
Dog, 4 puppies found burned in bag
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A dog and her four puppies were found burned inside a bag.
Police hope surveillance video will lead them to the suspects.
"I couldn't stand to look at it. I don't even like to talk about it. It was a horrible thing to do to a dog," said Sammy Omar, found the remains.
Sammy Omar got sick to his stomach when he saw the charred remains of the dog and her four puppies.
The beverage distributor became even more angry when he watched this video showing the people responsible setting them on fire.
"It was torture. The puppies were all burned up," Omar said.
Just after midnight on Monday, a van drove into the dark and secluded industrial area on 91 Street near Ditmas Avenue in Canarsie.
Three men got out of the van, one carrying a large black garbage bag.
He then tossed the animals next to a dumpster and set it on fire.
"The babies were scattered everywhere," Omar said.
Workers found the dead pit bull mix and her litter the next morning.
"We saw the dogs burned up. The babies burned up too, it was horrible seeing," Omar said.
Investigators are not sure if the dog and puppies were alive or dead when they were put in a bag and dumped there then set on fire.
They're testing right now to figure that part out.
An ASPCA spokesperson says the dogs were taken to Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in Manhattan to perform a necropsy.
Identifying the vehicle is tough because it didn't have a front license plate and the rear one is hard to make out.
"There are sick people out there," Omar said, "I hope they get caught. It wasn't nice. I hope they pay the price."
new york city, dog, animals, animal abuse, brooklyn, canarsie, new york news, carolina leid
- Missing plane may have turned back 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 57 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
36 min ago