New York News
High school hazing suspects appear in court
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The 3 suspects accused in the Bronx Science High School hazing incident appeared in court Friday.
Attorneys for Thomas Brady, Boubacar Diallo and Piers Berkman asked the media to keep its distance from their teenage clients.
"Ultimately, it's going to be difficult for these minors to restore their reputation when this is completed," said Angel Cruz.
No comment from the teens as they casually visited with friendly supporters outside a Bronx courtroom. The boys face misdemeanor charges, but as adults, for the alleged hazing of a freshman on the Bronx Science high school track team.
"I know the three accused people personally and i think they're great kids, and I think it's unfair how they are being villainized by all this media coverage," said John Wertimer.
Eyewitness News spoke to students who say they are track team members at Bronx Science. The team's activities have been suspended, along with the suspects, the school's Athletic Director and two unidentified track team coaches.
"I've been running track for 3 years here, and what's being described as hazing is really just locker room behavior, even etiquette; the way kids treating one another on track. No one is specifically being targeted at all," said one student.
A reported memo to staff by the Athletic Director, written in March of last year, acknowledged a case of inappropriate locker room touching from 2010.
The A.D., Marion Dietrich, had called for locker room monitoring by staff members, which reportedly did not continue into this school year.
The judge extended a restraining order on the three suspects, warning them against contacting, or even texting the student who filed the complaint. Procedures at Bronx Science High School that led to the case are being investigated by the Department of Education.
new york city, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall