New York News
Female officer pushed down stairs by suspect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A female NYPD officer was injured during a domestic violence home visit at the Ravenswood Houses.
They came from everywhere; NYPD officers trying to reach another officer in trouble.
A domestic violence unit following up on a call, according to officials encountered a suspect whose sister they say had taken out a restraining order against him.
In a hallway, police say, they were about to arrest the man, a struggle ensued and one officer was pushed down a stairway.
Ambulances rush to the scene along with even more officers.
But suddenly half dozen detectives ran from the building into the court yard in pursuit of the suspect who had bolted from the building.
Overhead, a helicopter also began tracking his movements through the large complex.
And then, strapped to a gurney, the injured female officer was brought out by paramedics who rushed her to a waiting ambulance.
Eyewitness News has learned she was taken to Elmhurst Hospital with a broken leg.
She is listed in stable condition.
The search at this point began to intensify as emergency services officers were also brought in, one was leading a dog.
On the rooftop of a nearby building on the north side, officers were also searching where the suspect had been spotted.
Several officers then lifted the police dog over a rooftop fence to help search another part of the area.
Below as a crowd began to gather outside one building, the suspect suddenly emerged brought out in handcuffs and was led into another building.
Outside, the larger crowd began forming, angered they say by the large police presence.
And then in an unusual scene as the suspect is led out by police that vocal crowd began chanting his name.
"Jose, Jose, Jose," the crowd chanted, "You're a hero Jose."
new york city, police officer injured, astoria, queens, new york news, tim fleischer
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 57 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 58 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
37 min ago