New York News
Girl violently bullied, taken to hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Violence at a school in the Bronx is raising some disturbing questions about bullying by very young kids.
A 14-year-old girl was attacked, police say, by a 12-year-old girl.
The victim's mother says she's been asking school officials for help for weeks.
It happened in the Norwood section of the Bronx at MS 80.
The victim's mother says this is a case of extreme bullying that came to a head after a month of taunting and tormenting.
She points to her daughter's injuries as proof that she's no longer safe at school.
She had her hair yanked from her head, bruises on her body, and the word "hate" scribbled on her arm.
When school officials found the battered 14-year-old Monday afternoon inside MS 80 in the Bronx, they called EMS who rushed her to Montefiore Hospital for treatment.
"She's been slapped, she got poked in the eye with a pencil, and she got pushed down the stairs," the victim's mother said.
The victim's mother asked that we not show her face or identify her daughter.
She says her daughter's been getting bullied for the last month and claims she notified administrators and teachers about what's been going on inside this school, which came to a head with Monday's alleged attack.
"I've been here three or four times every week because it's been an ongoing process. It doesn't stop, and I feel they didn't do anything to protect her," the victim's mother said.
Police tell Eyewitness News school safety officers arrested the 12-year-old accused of attacking her classmate.
She's being charged with assault as a juvenile.
The Department of Education says disciplinary action is pending.
"I want to know what's going on in my child's school," said Cecilia Donovan, a concerned parent.
When Cecelia Donovan heard what happened, she came to MS 80 to speak to teachers about her daughter, concerned about what she says is a widespread culture of bullying.
"My daughter was bullied this year. So she's no different from this young child, but the physical and psychological effects it has on kids when they come to school, and they're not protect," Donovan said.
The mother of the girl who was beaten says she plants to move her daughter to another school.
MS 80 has had its share of problems; gangs, rivalries, low test scores, and a principal who recently came under fire because his band produced a racy rap video that was posted on YouTube.
new york city, bronx, norwood, bully, bullying, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97