New York News
Video: 3 rare maleo chicks hatch at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK -- The Bronx Zoo says it's hatched three rare maleo chicks.
The birds are native to Indonesia. The zoo studied and recreated the special conditions they need to successfully incubate.
What do they look like? Zoo curator Nancy Clum describes them on a YouTube video posted by the Wildlife Conservation Society.
To her, a maleo resembles a chicken with a fan tail, a pink belly - and a football helmet on the back of its head.
A maleo shown in a close-up also has an orange beak and big brown eyes ringed with orange and yellow.
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 51 min ago
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 39 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 52 min ago
- First lawsuit filed in East Harlem explosion 59 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
51 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
52 min ago