New York News
Video: 3 rare maleo chicks hatch at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK -- The Bronx Zoo says it's hatched three rare maleo chicks.
The birds are native to Indonesia. The zoo studied and recreated the special conditions they need to successfully incubate.
What do they look like? Zoo curator Nancy Clum describes them on a YouTube video posted by the Wildlife Conservation Society.
To her, a maleo resembles a chicken with a fan tail, a pink belly - and a football helmet on the back of its head.
A maleo shown in a close-up also has an orange beak and big brown eyes ringed with orange and yellow.
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather 27 min ago
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death 25 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates 30 min ago
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport