New York News
Video: 3 rare maleo chicks hatch at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK -- The Bronx Zoo says it's hatched three rare maleo chicks.
The birds are native to Indonesia. The zoo studied and recreated the special conditions they need to successfully incubate.
What do they look like? Zoo curator Nancy Clum describes them on a YouTube video posted by the Wildlife Conservation Society.
To her, a maleo resembles a chicken with a fan tail, a pink belly - and a football helmet on the back of its head.
A maleo shown in a close-up also has an orange beak and big brown eyes ringed with orange and yellow.
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 23 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos