New York News
Video: 3 rare maleo chicks hatch at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK -- The Bronx Zoo says it's hatched three rare maleo chicks.
The birds are native to Indonesia. The zoo studied and recreated the special conditions they need to successfully incubate.
What do they look like? Zoo curator Nancy Clum describes them on a YouTube video posted by the Wildlife Conservation Society.
To her, a maleo resembles a chicken with a fan tail, a pink belly - and a football helmet on the back of its head.
A maleo shown in a close-up also has an orange beak and big brown eyes ringed with orange and yellow.
new york city, bronx, new york news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 40 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 3 min ago
- LI man charged with shooting wife in domestic dispute 2 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
34 min ago