New York News
Psych patient fatally attacked at Interfaith Hospital
NEW YORK -- A psychiatric ward patient at a Brooklyn hospital was killed during a fight with another patient following an apparently peaceful game of dominoes.
Police say a 47-year-old man was beaten to the upper torso and head during the brawl inside the behavioral health services ward at Interfaith Medical Center.
He was found unresponsive by police officers responding to the eighth floor on the report of a fight just before 10 p.m. Tuesday.
The patient was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Another patient, a 20-year-old man, was taken into custody in the beating. Charges are expected.
The fight is believed to have broken out in the bathroom, where there are no surveillance cameras.
The behavioral health services ward has heavy security, but patients are not continually monitored while in the bathroom.
The two men were playing dominoes before the fight. The game was believed to be peaceful, and the reason for the dispute was not immediately known.
There were no other witnesses to the fight.
No weapon was recovered, and it is possible the fight was hand-to-hand combat.
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 10 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 11 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation