New York News
Psych patient fatally attacked at Interfaith Hospital
NEW YORK -- A psychiatric ward patient at a Brooklyn hospital was killed during a fight with another patient following an apparently peaceful game of dominoes.
Police say a 47-year-old man was beaten to the upper torso and head during the brawl inside the behavioral health services ward at Interfaith Medical Center.
He was found unresponsive by police officers responding to the eighth floor on the report of a fight just before 10 p.m. Tuesday.
The patient was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Another patient, a 20-year-old man, was taken into custody in the beating. Charges are expected.
The fight is believed to have broken out in the bathroom, where there are no surveillance cameras.
The behavioral health services ward has heavy security, but patients are not continually monitored while in the bathroom.
The two men were playing dominoes before the fight. The game was believed to be peaceful, and the reason for the dispute was not immediately known.
There were no other witnesses to the fight.
No weapon was recovered, and it is possible the fight was hand-to-hand combat.
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos