New York News
Denny's looks to open Lower Manhattan restaurant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Denny's the restaurant chain know for the Grand Slam, is looking at opening in lower Manhattan and some residents aren't happy.
On the block of Nassau street, just a stones throw from City Hall, residents say at night it's unbelievably quiet.
Just the way they like it.
But now they worry the possibility of a Denny's restaurant opening on a ground floor spot, that will change all that.
Kim Schraub, who lives a couple of floors above the location in this beautiful late 18th century building, converted to condos about 10 years ago.
She is worried like others because many of the Denny's restaurants operate 24 hours.
Denny's celebrating its 60th year, claims it is one of the country's largest full-service restaurant chains with nearly 1700 that are franchised, licensed or company owned.
The company has applied to community board 1 for advisory approval for a beer and wine license, according to board officials, but reveal little more about its plans.
"I completely object. Because I think it is a very quiet area and it would be extremely noisey and this is a landmark gorgeous building," said Alla Kazakina.
A Denny's representative tells Eyewitness News, the company welcomes the opportunity for developing in Manhattan, but "Nothing is set in stone at this point, there are still many pieces in flux."
While community concerns have been passed on to the company, the Denny's representative goes on to say "We do make special accommodations for specific franchise owners based on community and neighborhood needs and expectations."
new york city, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly mall carjacking 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos