New York News
12 hurt after car crashes onto Brooklyn sidewalk
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 12 people were injured when a car drove on to a sidewalk and into scaffolding in Brooklyn Saturday night.
It happened at Utica Avenue and Church Avenue in East Flatbush at 6:47 p.m.
Police say all of the crash victims have been upgraded to stable condition.
The accident unfolded on a busy Saturday evening with the sidewalks packed with people.
In an instant, the car barreled towards the bus stop and there was nothing people standing there could do.
An eyewitness recorded first-responders rushing victims into ambulances and firefighters searching for the injured underneath the wreckage.
For some who watched it unfold, it was too much to take.
12 pedestrians were hurt and sources tell Eyewitness News they include a grandmother, a mother and a toddler.
Mavis Reid was starring right into the front end of this speeding car. As the vehicle barreled right into a crowded bus stop, 12 people were hurt, including a 2-year-old little boy. He is alive but badly injured.
The vehicle hit scaffolding, which then fell; striking Mavis and her son in the head. He is still nursing a bad cut.
Denroy Reid tells Eyewitness News that he felt helpless as he watched his injured family in all of the chaos.
"It fell on him, he was on the ground, and the next guy helped me lift the scaffolding off of him," said Denroy.
Police say the accident happened when the driver of the crumpled Lincoln swerved to avoid a stationary vehicle on Utica Avenue, subsequently losing control and slamming into the scaffolding.
Both the driver and her passenger suffered minor injuries, but the same is not true for those who were hit, including the mother and her baby.
"It seemed like she was still alive because we saw a sign of her chest moving," Wynn said.
"It's Easter season you know, and I know it's a tough time for these families right now," Rev. Terry said.
Seven people were taken to Kings County Hospital, and five were transported to Brookdale Hospital.
A vigil was held on Monday night for the mother and son injured in the crash. The driver told police that her brakes failed.
new york city, east flatbush, brooklyn, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation