New York News
Car crashes into church, community center in Queens
ROCKAWAYS (WABC) -- A driver lost control of a car and slammed into the side of a building housing a church and community center in Queens early Tuesday.
The incident happened at the one-story Arverne Pilgrim Church and Arverne by the Bay Community Center on Beach Channel Drive in the Rockaways just before 3 a.m.
The driver was treated for a non-life threatening injury.
The crash caused a gas leak, and buildings department inspectors were checking the structural integrity of the building.
The church still hasn't completed repairs following Superstorm Sandy.
"We are now recovering from Sandy, and we are in the process, we had to gut the whole place to get the mildew out," Pastor Dennis Loncke said. "So now we are in the process of putting up the walls, and the windows installed. So all the things that we had in there, women's bathrooms, is crushed and stuff like that."
Officials say about 90 percent of the sheet rock work inside the building had been completed and all the mold removed. At one point after the storm, there were 54 inches of water inside.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
new york city, queens, rockaways, accident, superstorm sandy, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 2 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster