New York News
Brooklyn boy hit by car dies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 2-year-old Brooklyn boy struck by a car that jumped the curb in East Flatbush last Saturday night says the child has died.
Relatives told Eyewitness News reporter Kemberly Richardson that Denim McLein passed away Thursday night at the hospital.
Both Denim and his mother, Wendy McLein, were among 12 people were injured when the car drove onto the sidewalk and into scaffolding.
Wendy McLein, who owns a nightclub in Bedford-Stuyvesant called Denim's Cafe, is still at King County Hospital and is expected to undergo surgery Friday. Both of her legs were crushed in the accident.
Relatives say she does not yet know about Denim's passing.
Police said the driver told investigators that her brakes failed before she went through a red light at Utica and Church avenues and jumped the curb around 6:30 p.m.
The driver passed a breathalyzer test and was not charged.
new york city, east flatbush, brooklyn, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014