New York News
Brooklyn boy hit by car dies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 2-year-old Brooklyn boy struck by a car that jumped the curb in East Flatbush last Saturday night says the child has died.
Relatives told Eyewitness News reporter Kemberly Richardson that Denim McLein passed away Thursday night at the hospital.
Both Denim and his mother, Wendy McLein, were among 12 people were injured when the car drove onto the sidewalk and into scaffolding.
Wendy McLein, who owns a nightclub in Bedford-Stuyvesant called Denim's Cafe, is still at King County Hospital and is expected to undergo surgery Friday. Both of her legs were crushed in the accident.
Relatives say she does not yet know about Denim's passing.
Police said the driver told investigators that her brakes failed before she went through a red light at Utica and Church avenues and jumped the curb around 6:30 p.m.
The driver passed a breathalyzer test and was not charged.
new york city, east flatbush, brooklyn, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 9 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos