New York News
Police make arrest in Harlem hit and run
HARLEM (WABC) -- Police have made an arrest in connection with a fatal hit and run accident in Harlem.
Police say a livery cab driver was driving a Lincoln Town car when he struck and killed 21-year-old Taja Johnson of Mount Vernon just after 4 on Saturday morning.
He had borrowed the car from a friend to pick up extra work.
The driver, 53-year old Boubacar Bathily, turned himself in.
He has been charged with Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Death, Motor Vehicle License Violation (No Driver's License), and Failure to Exercise Due Care.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that Johnson was riding in the passenger seat of a silver Audi when she was pushed out of her own car during some type of domestic dispute, right on to the pavement at the intersection of West 133rd and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.
Sources say as cars swerved around her, she struggled to get up. That is when the livery cab ran right into her. Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Early Saturday morning, the NYPD set up a small checkpoint at the scene.
Sources say they may be looking for the person who was driving the victim's silver Audi.
"The ambulance came and tried to revive her - it's crazy," said eyewitness Kelvin Romero.
new york city, harlem, hit and run accident, new york news, darla miles
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 42 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 42 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 31 min ago