New York News
Police searching for Washington Heights burglary suspect
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Residents of Washington Heights are on edge, after a burglar has been using a fire escape to break into residents' apartments.
A security camera captured footage just before midnight on March 15th of the burglar lowering himself to safety from the fire escape.
Christian Abreu lives in one of the three buildings on 180th Street that have been targeted. He says the burglaries have forced residents to take extra precautions by taking extra precautions to lock all doors and windows of the apartment.
"A lot of them are elderly people, so they're a little frightened and startled," added Abreu.
Police say the thief burglarized four apartments over the course of five hours last month, using the fire escape to gain entry to people's bedrooms and living rooms.
"I supposed this building was safe, but I don't know now," said Washington Heights resident Carmen Rosa.
Jose Parra says that the police have been active in the neighborhood since the burglaries.
"They have been investigating the situation, and I saw them bring some cameras, and have increased protection of the neighborhood," adds Parra.
It is unknown what was stolen, and how much the thief got away with.
If anyone recognizes the burglar, they are asked to call NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, washington heights, robbery, burglary, new york news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 28 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring 42 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia 56 min ago
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin 58 min ago
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos