New York News
Police searching for Washington Heights burglary suspect
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Residents of Washington Heights are on edge, after a burglar has been using a fire escape to break into residents' apartments.
A security camera captured footage just before midnight on March 15th of the burglar lowering himself to safety from the fire escape.
Christian Abreu lives in one of the three buildings on 180th Street that have been targeted. He says the burglaries have forced residents to take extra precautions by taking extra precautions to lock all doors and windows of the apartment.
"A lot of them are elderly people, so they're a little frightened and startled," added Abreu.
Police say the thief burglarized four apartments over the course of five hours last month, using the fire escape to gain entry to people's bedrooms and living rooms.
"I supposed this building was safe, but I don't know now," said Washington Heights resident Carmen Rosa.
Jose Parra says that the police have been active in the neighborhood since the burglaries.
"They have been investigating the situation, and I saw them bring some cameras, and have increased protection of the neighborhood," adds Parra.
It is unknown what was stolen, and how much the thief got away with.
If anyone recognizes the burglar, they are asked to call NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, washington heights, robbery, burglary, new york news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 30 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families 57 min ago
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 51 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 48 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos