New York News
Child playing with lighter sparked Bronx fire, FDNY says
BRONX (WABC) -- The FDNY says a child playing with a lighter somehow sparked Saturday's fire at a high-rise apartment building in the Bronx.
48 people were injured in the fire on the 5th floor of a 27 story apartment building at 225 East 149th Street in the Morrisania section.
Five people, including a child, remain in critical condition at Lincoln Hospital.
The fire spread heavy smoke throughout the building.
Firefighters went from apartment to apartment checking on residents who breathed in the smoke.
"It just started in the bedroom, I didn't know what else to do," said Samantha Covel.
Covel was in her apartment with two other adults and two children, when she was awakened by the intense smoke and flames.
Investigators say the flames shot out of the fifth floor window, spreading to the apartment above. The thick, black smoke instantly filled the stairwells all the way to the top floor, trapping residents who were trying to escape.
Witnesses say a mother briefly dangled her two-year-old child out of a broken 21st floor window to try to get some fresh air.
Several firefighters were injured fighting the blaze.
The building is in a sprawling complex that houses nearly 500 people and more than 20 stores.
new york city, bronx, fire, morrisania, firefighters, new york news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 32 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 33 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
32 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
48 min ago