New York News
All Clear given at LaGuardia Airport after terminal evacuation due to suspicious package
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A security scare at LaGuardia Airport was one of dozens reported around the New York area on Tuesday.
The airport re-opened after Terminal B was evacuated for an hour following a report of suspicious wiring.
The Port Authority says a call was made after wiring was seen hanging from a light fixture inside the airport.
New York City is on a heightened security alert as a precaution due to the Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon.
Multiple airlines are located at this terminal. Pictures were pouring in on Social Media of passengers exiting the terminal.
NYPD has had 77 reports of suspicious packages in the last 24 hours -- up from 21 reports during a similar period a year ago.
"We ask the public to be vigilant," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "We anticipated that there would be an increase in reports of suspicious bags."
Kelly said there are no known threats against the city.
new york city, laguardia airport, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall