New York News
Elderly woman killed in East Village fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person died in a fire that shot heavy flames out the window of an East Village apartment building early Wednesday.
The fire started in the elderly victim's fifth-floor bedroom inside the 4th Avenue building just after midnight.
Firefighters put the fire out very quickly, but they made the tragic discovery once the flames were extinguished.
The 84-year-old woman was found unconscious in the apartment. Firefighters tried to revive her but were unsuccessful.
The fire, at a building known as the Petersfield, was under control just before 1 a.m. The cause is under investigation, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious.
new york city, east village, manhattan, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 1 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 8 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall