New York News
Elderly woman killed in East Village fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person died in a fire that shot heavy flames out the window of an East Village apartment building early Wednesday.
The fire started in the elderly victim's fifth-floor bedroom inside the 4th Avenue building just after midnight.
Firefighters put the fire out very quickly, but they made the tragic discovery once the flames were extinguished.
The 84-year-old woman was found unconscious in the apartment. Firefighters tried to revive her but were unsuccessful.
The fire, at a building known as the Petersfield, was under control just before 1 a.m. The cause is under investigation, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious.
new york city, east village, manhattan, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 50 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos