New York News
Mother wants answers after daughter attacked
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A mother is demanding action after her daughter was injured and sent to a hospital after a fight between teenage girls was caught on camera.
This is the latest in the string of similar fights that in many cases have gone viral.
It raises a disturbing question: is the internet encouraging teenagers to fight?
For those who recorded this hideous violence, it was entertainment, but certainly not for Samantha Gonzalez.
"They didn't even think about the consequences when they cornered me," said Samantha Gonzalez, beating victim.
The video was posted on one of several sites known to display senseless, teen violence.
"About 10 girls just come and they grab me, and they pull me by my hair, they pull my hands, they hit me from both directions in my face, guys hit me," Gonzalez said.
"She has a fractured nose, two bruises on each eye, emotionally distressed," said Nina Kunicki, the victim's mother.
Samantha was walking with two girls in the park, one who had already been the victim of bullies and was living under a further threat, and sure enough in the peaceful park the bullying became a mob assault.
"This is clearly older girls from the high school beating up one or two younger girls from the junior high school," Councilman Peter Vallone, Jr. said.
Queens City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. says he learned of the video via Facebook.
"What bothers me almost as much as the girls attacking younger girls is that other kids were nearby that found time to encourage it, to film it, but didn't find time to stop the beating," Vallone said.
Police are investigating, and Councilman Vallone expects the video to lead to the attackers.
Samantha and her family can only hope to keep her safe, in the meantime.
"No child should have to go through this, and this is bullying, it's very bad, it's negative to children, not only mine but to any other child," Kunicki said.
new york city, astoria, queens, assault, new york news, art mcfarland
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 34 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 35 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
34 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
50 min ago