New York News
Reprieve for Long Island College Hospital in Cobble Hill
NEW YORK (WABC) -- After weeks of protest from patients, doctors, and unions, the plan to close Long Island College Hospital is dropped.
The hospital was suppose to shut its doors for good and even sent out layoff notices.
But a community's fight has stemmed the tide.
The next step is to develop a sustainability plan to continue medical services and education that must be done in a month then take effect two short weeks later.
It was a long and tough fight to keep Long Island College Hospital off the chopping block.
Everyone Eyewitness News found applauded the move: especially those who have received urgent care there, including Justin Harmon whose dad was diagnosed with cancer.
"Without that hospital God knows what would have happened he could have been in pain. He could have suffered even more. I love that hospital," Harmon said.
"I'm happy it's staying open. I was a patient there. When I was 11, I had a major surgery. They treated me well," said Joe O'Neill, a Cobble Hill resident.
The SUNY board voted in February to close the Cobble Hill hospital citing financial losses.
State officials Friday backed off their plan to close the Cobble Hill hospital, after months of organized protests sparked by thousands of workers, patients, residents and local leaders.
"It's a tremendous victory for us," said George Gresham, SEIU Healthcare Workers East President.
1199 Health Care Workers Union President George Gresham says this move saves more than 2,200 jobs.
Now it's time to find a new operator to help the financially struggling facility.
"I wouldn't say we're in the clear. I would, I can say we can take a big exhale at this point," Gresham said, "It has all of the ingredients. It has a loyal staff that care deeply about this."
new york city, brooklyn, cobble hill, hospital, new york news, carolina leid
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa 54 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos