New York News
Tight security for Five Boro Bike Tour
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, tight restrictions in place for next weekend's Five Boro Bike Tour.
Riders will not be permitted to bring backpacks, saddlebags/panniers (front and rear) and hydration packs.
However, water bottles, fanny packs, (waist packs) and small bike frame bags (under seat and handlebar bags) are permitted.
There will be checkpoints along the route to ensure compliance with these new regulations; confiscated items will not be returned.
This year's Finish Festival at Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island will be strictly limited to registered Tour riders and will not be open to family and friends of participants or the general public.
"The safety and security of our 32,000 riders has always been our number one priority," said Ken Podziba, President & CEO of Bike New York.
For more information about the security measures in place for the 36th annual TD Five Boro Bike Tour on May 5, please visit www.bikenewyork.org/security.
new york city, security, staten island, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97