New York News
New app will let people e-hail cabs in NYC
Saturday, April 27, 2013
NEW YORK -- People don't have to use their hands to hail New York City cabs anymore - now there's an app for that.
Taxi and Limousine Commissioner David Yassky said Friday that Uber Technologies Inc. has been selected to make e-hailing services available to people looking for cabs. He says Uber will facilitate the e-hails in a one-year pilot program. Yassky says several other companies are seeking city approval to provide e-hailing services. A judge Tuesday dismissed a lawsuit filed mainly by livery cab owners, allowing a city plan to experiment with the e-hailing system to see whether it leads to a dearth of cabs or other problems. Car service owners say e-hailing unfairly blurs a legal line between yellow and livery cabs, which are barred from picking up passengers on streets and depend on prearranged rides.
(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
new york city, cab drivers, taxi, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City 4 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns 34 min ago
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning 51 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links