New York News
Suspect robs chains off of 93-year-old woman, others
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is video of a young thief heartlessly snatching gold chains off the neck of a 93-year-old woman in the Bronx.
In the surveillance video you can see the suspect walk right up to the elderly victim and pull two gold chains from her neck.
Police say the same guy and an accomplice have robbed at least four other women, ages 55 and up since April 10th.
"I can still feel his fingernails scratching down my neck to get the chain," the 61-year-old victim said.
The devout Catholic has replaced her cherished holy medal with a cloth scapula.
"Unfortunately this was a 40-year-old medal that, religious medal, by my mother," the victim said.
The grandmother is the most recent victim of a string of gold chain snatchings in the Baychester section of the Bronx, and doesn't want to be identified.
Monday evening before 7, she was walking near Hone and Lydig Avenues when a teen asked her for directions.
She says he leaned in closely, ripped off her necklace, jumped into a gray sedan, and drove off.
"He was young and very well dressed as he approached you," the victim said.
In the first, the thief didn't make off with the jewelry. Fred Kinner is the 71-year-old neighbor who was robbed the same day as the 93-year-old victim.
Police are looking for two teens between the ages of 16 and 19.
All of the robberies happened in the Baychester section and all were in broad daylight.
new york city, robbery, surveillance video, bronx, new york news, darla miles
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 33 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 7 min ago
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
7 min ago