New York News
Jury selection to begin for suspects in Peter Figoski death
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Jury selection begins Wednesday in Brooklyn in the trial of the last two men charged in the murder of NYPD Officer Peter Figoski.
The officer was shot to death 18 months ago while responding to a robbery call in Cypress Hills.
Shooter Lamont Pride is serving 45 years to life for the murder after he was convicted earlier this year.
Kevin Santos and Nelson Morales both face murder charges.
Brooklyn prosecutors said Pride and four others plotted to rob a small-time drug dealer on December 12, 2011.
The men broke into a shabby basement apartment in a building that belonged to Morales' uncle. But the uncle didn't know what was happening and called 911 when he heard a commotion downstairs.
Officers, including Figoski, arrived and surprised the robbers, who pretended to be victims until they were later arrested. Figoski was shot when he cornered Pride.
Figoski was posthumously promoted to detective.
new york city, peter figoski, officer killed, police officer dies, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97