New York News
Thieves targeting side-view mirrors in Queens
SOUTH RICHMOND HILL (WABC) -- The frustration is continuing for some car owners in Queens who have had their vehicles vandalized for several weeks now.
Dozens of cars have been hit, and the thief, or thieves have a specific target - side view mirrors. The latest damage extends along three blocks in South Richmond Hill, Queens.
Livery cab driver Ram Ji has a brand new Lincoln, but now he has to replace the driver's side mirror.
"They popped out he glass with a screwdriver, and easily take out the wires," Ji said.
Thieves meticulously popped out the glass, and stole the sensor underneath. This will cost Ji $250 to replace.
Up and down 125th Street in South Richmond Hill, Queens, dozens of cars are also missing their side view mirrors. Neighbors tell Eyewitness News that the thieves strike during the night, but so far no security camera recorded them in the act - not even the NYPD's security cameras.
Residents say they have called the cops dozens of times, but the thefts continue.
As for Ji, he has two mirrors to replace. Thieves also stole his van's glass and sensor.
Neighbors believe that the thieves are professionals, and are selling the mirrors and the sensors to auto body shops.
new york city, queens, richmond hill, vandalism, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 18 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 6 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
25 min ago