New York News
Suspects sought in attack on gay couple near MSG
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators are trying to solve an attack near Madison Square Garden that may have been fueled by hate.A gay couple was assaulted in broad daylight as they walked near the Garden during Sunday's Knicks playoff game. Police have released a surveillance photo of the main suspect in the case. They say he was walking up Eighth Avenue when he confronted the victims, who had just finished a meal in the area. According to police, the man was part of a group yelling anti-gay slurs. The couple, 27-year old Nick Porto and 22-year old Kevin Atkin, was surrounded and attacked, repeatedly kicked and punched while on the ground. The victims were rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where they were treated for their injuries. Porto suffered a broken nose. The couple's bag with an Ipad and cell phone was destroyed. The man in the photo is described as a Hispanic in his 20's with a tattoo on his forearm. Police say several other Hispanic men were also involved in the attack. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn is urging anyone who was on the scene at the time to come forward with any video or information they might have about the attack.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new york city, madison square garden, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 15 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 41 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos