New York News
One of NYPD's most wanted, Sean Lopes, arrested in England
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 47-year-old fugitive wanted for attacking and kidnapping his ex-girlfriend on the Upper East Side in 2004 has been arrested by authorities in Kent, England.
Sean Lopes was nabbed Monday on Victoria Road after a member of the public raised concerns.
Kent police detectives contacted the NYPD and the Metropolitan Police, and the suspect was arrested.
Lopes appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court Tuesday and was remanded until May 14.
U.S. authorities said last year that they believed Guyanese-born Lopes was hiding in Trinidad and Tobago, describing him as a violent fugitive.
In 2004, apparently furious that she had dumped him, Lopes allegedly snuck into the 22-year-old Bronx teacher's apartment on the last day of school. Stashed in his duffel bag were a pair of black gloves, a black ski mask, a BB gun made to look like a 9-mm handgun, a stun gun and a serrated knife.
Police say Lopes tackled Hopkins when she arrived home, choked her and threatened her with the gun. For the next 40 minutes, he terrorized Hopkins - the niece of a federal magistrate in Florida - and threatened to kill her and then commit suicide. Neighbors heard Hopkins' screams and called the police.
The NYPD hostage negotiating team stormed the apartment, and found Lopes holding a butcher knife to Hopkins' throat. A K-9 dog charged at Lopes and wrestled him to the ground, allowing cops to take him into custody.
He told police a wild tale that Hopkins had been holding him hostage, saying she had overpowered him because she is taller than him.
Lopes, an eighth-grade science teacher, was charged with attempted murder and attempted kidnapping. His wife put up the family's house to free him on $250,000 bail.
Lopes jumped bail November 16, 2004. He was convicted in absentia in 2005 and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
new york city, nypd, most wanted, upper east side, fugitive, new york news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 17 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
5 min ago