New York News
Elderly Bronx man visiting mom's grave robbed; 1 arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was arrested and another is being sought after an elderly man carrying flowers to his mother's gravesite was robbed in the Bronx.
The incident happened just after noon on Friday.
Police say the 78-year-old victm had just bought the flowers to place by his deceased mother's memorial photo for Mother's Day and was in front of 900 East Tremont Avenue when the suspects approached him from behind and attempted to remove his chain.
The victim fought with the suspects, but they were able to overpower him and removed his chain and pendant.
During the course of the robbery, police officers who were conducting an operation in the area observed the robbery and gave chase, capturing one of the suspects.
The other suspect was able to make it to a silver vehicle and fled the scene.
Charles Hacket, 23, was taken into custody and charged with robbery, resisting arrest and criminal possession of marijuana.
There were no reported injuries.
Anyone with information in regards to this robbery is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, bronx, robbery, new york news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia