New York News
Elderly Bronx man visiting mom's grave robbed; 1 arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was arrested and another is being sought after an elderly man carrying flowers to his mother's gravesite was robbed in the Bronx.
The incident happened just after noon on Friday.
Police say the 78-year-old victm had just bought the flowers to place by his deceased mother's memorial photo for Mother's Day and was in front of 900 East Tremont Avenue when the suspects approached him from behind and attempted to remove his chain.
The victim fought with the suspects, but they were able to overpower him and removed his chain and pendant.
During the course of the robbery, police officers who were conducting an operation in the area observed the robbery and gave chase, capturing one of the suspects.
The other suspect was able to make it to a silver vehicle and fled the scene.
Charles Hacket, 23, was taken into custody and charged with robbery, resisting arrest and criminal possession of marijuana.
There were no reported injuries.
Anyone with information in regards to this robbery is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, bronx, robbery, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 34 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents 16 min ago
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines