New York News
Elderly Bronx man visiting mom's grave robbed; 1 arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was arrested and another is being sought after an elderly man carrying flowers to his mother's gravesite was robbed in the Bronx.
The incident happened just after noon on Friday.
Police say the 78-year-old victm had just bought the flowers to place by his deceased mother's memorial photo for Mother's Day and was in front of 900 East Tremont Avenue when the suspects approached him from behind and attempted to remove his chain.
The victim fought with the suspects, but they were able to overpower him and removed his chain and pendant.
During the course of the robbery, police officers who were conducting an operation in the area observed the robbery and gave chase, capturing one of the suspects.
The other suspect was able to make it to a silver vehicle and fled the scene.
Charles Hacket, 23, was taken into custody and charged with robbery, resisting arrest and criminal possession of marijuana.
There were no reported injuries.
Anyone with information in regards to this robbery is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, bronx, robbery, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen