New York News
Restaurants fight for noise control
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York marches to the beat of its own drum. If you talk to the experts on hearing, that is part of the problem.
Every minute you can hear buses going by, delivery truck's cargo bouncing around, or the subway pulling into the station. Depending on how long the noise lasts, and how much of it we are exposed to, we are doing serious damage to our ears.
Andrea Boidman is the executive director of the Hearing Health Foundation.
"We're trying to encourage people to take care of their hearing," said Boidman.
Boidman's organization is joining forces with some area restaurants to serve up a portion of noise control. They are calling May 15th "Turn Down the Volume Night" in restaurants. It is an effort to raise awareness.
"We're going to try to minimize clatter and loud expediting in our kitchens," said Burak Karacam at Pera Mediterranean Brasserie in Midtown.
Pera is one of nine restaurants signed up. Even before the dinner crowd shows up Eyewitness News' decibel meter registered an 85
85 is the warning zone when it comes to decibel meters, and many areas in New York City hit that all the time. Anything over 85 is too loud, and you shouldn't have more than 15 minutes of exposure of per day.
Even the ice cream truck iced the competition with a decibel in the 90s.
new york city, new york news, jeff pegues
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 59 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury 34 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 11 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 21 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos