New York News
New York City moves forward with East Midtown rezoning plan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bloomberg Administration is pushing ahead with a plan to rezone 73 blocks of East Midtown in Manhattan.
The first public hearing on the proposal was held Monday night.
The rezoning would increase density in one of the city's oldest and most established business districts, the area surrounding Grand Central Terminal.
The city hopes the rezoning will encourage the construction of new state-of-the-art commercial buildings.
Development under the rezoning is expected to expand the city's tax base, add thousands of permanent jobs in East Midtown and fund improvements to the subway and pedestrian network in the area.
The East Midtown plan is also the first initiative to require a higher standard for energy efficiency, ensuring that new office towers utilizing the zoning incentives will be at the leading edge of energy efficiency.
The rezoning covers the area generally bounded by East 39th Street to the south, East 57th Street to the north, Second and Third Avenues to the east and a line 150 feet east of Fifth Avenue to the west. The area includes Grand Central Terminal at its core with Park Avenue as its central spine, and is served by the Lexington Avenue subway and cross-town subway lines on 42nd and 53rd Streets.
new york city, grand central station, manhattan, midtown, new york news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 16 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 44 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
16 min ago