New York News
Suspect in burned Brooklyn teen's death arrested
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person is in custody in connection with the murder of a 14-year-old girl whose body was found badly burned and naked on a Brooklyn beach five months ago.
Shaniesha Forbes disappeared back on January 4.
Her 20-year-old boyfriend, Christian Ferdinand, of Limestone, Maine, was arrested Thursday on a second-degree murder charge. He was taken into custody in Maine on Tuesday.
Forbes' family said they were unaware that the girl was involved in a relationship with anyone, let alone someone six years older than her.
Ferdinand was brought to the 63rd Precinct, where he reportedly made statements implicating himself. Evident was also found in his home, police said.
The medical examiner had determined that Forbes died of "homicidal asphyxiation." Police believe Ferdinand suffocated her after a fight over a possible pregnancy. He allegedly left the body in his home for several days before putting her in a suitcase, driving to Gerritsen Beach and setting it on fire.
Fobes' body was discovered just after 7 a.m. on January 6. It was reclassified as homicide on May 2.
Forbes had attended the Academy for Young Writers in Williamsburg. The Medical Examiner's report indicates that she was not pregnant.
new york city, teen, brooklyn, gerritsen beach, body found, murder, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 11 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 11 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 51 min ago