New York News
NYRR announces Staten Island Day in October
NEW YORK (WABC) -- October 13, 2013 will be Staten Island Day, dedicated to making a positive impact on the communities and providing support for ongoing recovery efforts, the New York Road Runners and Staten Island borough president James Molinaro have announced.
"We are honored to partner with Borough President Molinaro to create Staten Island Day," said NYRR president and CEO Mary Wittenberg. "The Staten Island Half-Marathon is our marquee event in the borough and anchors NYRR's 5-Borough Series. We are thrilled that this year's race will serve as the centerpiece for a day dedicated to the celebration of Staten Island. We look forward to working with the community to plan this incredible day in support of the borough."
As part of Staten Island Day, NYRR will donate the net proceeds of the Staten Island Half-Marathon, a commitment of at least $100,000, to Staten Island Hurricane Sandy recovery programs.
The day will include other fundraising events and opportunities for community engagement. The Staten Island Yankees and other partners will also be involved in supporting this initiative.
"We welcome the activities planned for Staten Island by New York Road Runners, and we thank them for the generous donation to benefit Sandy victims. This donation will go a long way toward helping people rebuild their homes and lives," said Borough President Molinaro.
Staten Island Day will also coincide with the opening of a new indoor track, a $70 million facility to serve Borough runners.
Members of the host committee and additional Staten Island Day events and activities will be announced in coming months.
Registration for the Staten Island Half-Marathon will be available on www.nyrr.org.
new york city, hurricane, superstorm sandy, staten island, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014