New York News
12-year-old struck by stray bullet in bedroom
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A 12-year-old girl was struck in the nape of her neck by a stray bullet in her Morningside Heights bedroom on Monday.
"I'm trying to figure out how it made it from here, to the fire escape, to her window. It's like the magic bullet," said Byron, the victim's father.
The bullet was so magical that it barely left a scar on the 7th grader's neck.
Byron's daughter Kamali was sitting in her girly purple bedroom of her family's 6th floor apartment in Morningside Heights Monday night, when everyone heard a loud crash around 9.
"She said, 'I'm hit!' and was holding her hair," Byron said.
The 7th grader ran down the hallway in a panic, shaking her head and feeling an intense burning sensation on the nape of her neck.
"It was hot, it was like putting your hand on a burning fire," Kamali said.
"I believe if she was two inches taller, it would have gotten her in her head," Byron said.
Investigators told the 53-year-old father the shot may have been fired straight right up in the air as the gunman ran down of West 114th.
That's where police say they found one shell casing.
But because the suspect is still at large, the family doesn't want to give their last name.
Wednesday, Kamali's room got a minor makeover.
The foot of her bed no longer rests right in front of the window, hoping this will give the 12-year-old, and the whole family, some peace of mind.
"She's 12 years old, I'm 53 and I couldn't sleep good last night," Byron said.
Police haven't identified the suspect and are still trying to determine the type of bullet that hit Kamali.
new york city, morningside heights, child injured, child shot, new york news, darla miles
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos