New York News
17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 17-year-old boy was critically injured when he was brutally beaten with a bat in the Bronx.
Police released surveillance video of the suspects who were seen kicking and striking the boy repeatedly with the bat before taking off.
The 17-year-old is hurt so badly that detectives haven't been able to question him because of his injuries.
While they wait for the victim to recover, cops are hoping someone recognizes his two attackers in the surveillance video.
It was two against one in an unfair fight.
One of the attackers wielded a baseball bat while chasing after a 17-year-old running for his life.
It happened in broad-daylight on Thursday at the BP station at the corner of Rosedale Avenue and the Cross Bronx Expressway.
"I think the guy is dead because there's a lot of blood in the mouth and eyes," an eyewitness said.
The woman asked Eyewitness News not to identify her.
She says she saw the fight unfold from her apartment window.
She says the gangs in the neighborhood have been on high alert since the beating.
"You see a lot of people walking around with guns?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Yes last night, last night," the woman said.
Police say they're looking for two black men, between the ages of 18 to 25, about 5'10" and around 155 pounds.
One wore a purple shirt, black shorts, and a black baseball hat.
The other wore a light blue shirt and jean shorts.
"This is a bad neighborhood," a customer said.
Eyewitness News showed the surveillance video to customers at the BP station where the attack happened and most say they're not surprised.
Many tell Eyewitness News there's a lot of crime there.
"How do you stay safe when you're here at the gas station or even walking around the neighborhood?" Eyewitness News asked.
"To tell you the truth, you know how they got the pope mobile. My van is like the pope mobile. I'm safe in here. This is my territory," a customer said.
new york city, bronx, assault, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 30 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos