New York News
Home explodes, bursts into flames in Howard Beach
HOWARD BEACH (WABC) -- Authorities are on the scene of a house explosion and fire in which a woman suffered critical injuries in Howard Beach, Queens.
Word of the explosion and fire first came into Eyewitness News shortly before 2:00 p.m.
NewsCopter 7 showed heavy fire and smoke rising from the scene at 84th Street between 162nd and 163rd Avenue.
Authorities sounded a second alarm around 2:20. Firefighters were being kept back from the building to fight the intense flames in case of another explosion.
A woman was inside the home at the time of the explosion. Neighbors managed to help her get out. She suffered severe burns, authorities said. She was taken to Jamaica Hospital in critical condition. Neighbors tell Eyewitness News that her husband is devastated.
Eyewitness News has learned that Rapid Repair work was done at this house to fix damage from Hurricane Sandy. Work on the gas service was supposed to be conducted within the past week.
Authorities said the fire was gas fed, but investigators are still trying to determine what sparked the explosion and fire.
new york city, howard beach, queens, explosion, house explosion, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 56 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 45 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 50 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 39 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 58 min ago
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident