New York News
Investigators probe cause of Queens home explosion
HOWARD BEACH (WABC) -- Investigators are trying to find the cause of an explosion that ripped apart a home in Queens Wednesday and left its owner badly burned.
Fire tore through the house following the blast, which blew off the front of the home on on 84th Street, between 162nd and 163rd avenues in Howard Beach around 2 p.m. Firefighters got control of the situation around 3:15 p.m.
Eyewitnesses say they heard what sounded like a bomb going off.
The female homeowner was inside at the time, and she was rushed to Jamaica Hospital in critical condition after being rescued by neighbors.
Eyewitness News learned that Rapid Repair work was done at this house to fix damage from Hurricane Sandy and even with work being done in the last week the FDNY has ruled out Rapid Repair as a cause in the fire.
Authorities believe the fire was gas fed, but investigators are still trying to determine what sparked the explosion and fire.
new york city, howard beach, queens, explosion, house explosion, new york news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 46 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found 10 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party 45 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos