New York News
FDNY lieutenant cited for Superstorm Sandy heroics
NEW YORK -- The FDNY is recognizing the heroics of Superstorm Sandy responders - including a fire lieutenant who rescued 25 people.
Thomas Woods of Ladder 154 is receiving the FDNY's highest honor on Wednesday.
Woods rescued the 25 people in Belle Harbor, Queens, from a rising storm surge and rapidly moving fire.
Thirty of those being honored at the Fire Department's annual Medal Day ceremony are getting special recognition for their work during the storm.
Commissioner Salvatore J. Cassano also says more than 7,000 FDNY members, both uniformed and civilian, are receiving a Sandy Campaign Service Ribbon.
new york city, fdny, superstorm sandy, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 38 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed 32 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
23 min ago