New York News
FDNY lieutenant cited for Superstorm Sandy heroics
NEW YORK -- The FDNY is recognizing the heroics of Superstorm Sandy responders - including a fire lieutenant who rescued 25 people.
Thomas Woods of Ladder 154 is receiving the FDNY's highest honor on Wednesday.
Woods rescued the 25 people in Belle Harbor, Queens, from a rising storm surge and rapidly moving fire.
Thirty of those being honored at the Fire Department's annual Medal Day ceremony are getting special recognition for their work during the storm.
Commissioner Salvatore J. Cassano also says more than 7,000 FDNY members, both uniformed and civilian, are receiving a Sandy Campaign Service Ribbon.
new york city, fdny, superstorm sandy, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 1 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
1 min ago