New York News
New York City soda ban appeal heads to court Tuesday
NEW YORK -- The next step in the not-so-sweet battle over New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's war against obesity moves to a state appellate court Tuesday.
The city's Department of Health heads to court to fight the March ruling that blocked the ban on the sale of sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces.
A judge called the law arbitrary and beyond the board of health's authority one day before it was set to take effect.
Bloomberg says the measure is important for public health.
"The loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the stated purpose of this rule," Judge Milton Tingling wrote in his ruling, which was seen as a victory for the beverage industry, restaurants and other business groups that called the ban unfair.
Said American Beverage Association spokesman Christopher Gindlesperger, referring to the initial decision overturning the ban, "We feel the justice's decision was strong and we're confident in the ruling."
The city says other organizations had filed legal briefs in support of the city's appeal. Those organizations include the National Alliance for Hispanic Health and the National Association of Local Boards of Health, as well as 30 others.
Bloomberg has made public health a cornerstone of his administration, from requiring calorie counts to be posted on menus and barring trans fats in restaurant foods.
new york city, sugary drinks ban, sugary drinks, michael bloomberg, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 21 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 10 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 15 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 23 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident