New York News
New York City soda ban appeal heads to court Tuesday
NEW YORK -- The next step in the not-so-sweet battle over New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's war against obesity moves to a state appellate court Tuesday.
The city's Department of Health heads to court to fight the March ruling that blocked the ban on the sale of sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces.
A judge called the law arbitrary and beyond the board of health's authority one day before it was set to take effect.
Bloomberg says the measure is important for public health.
"The loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the stated purpose of this rule," Judge Milton Tingling wrote in his ruling, which was seen as a victory for the beverage industry, restaurants and other business groups that called the ban unfair.
Said American Beverage Association spokesman Christopher Gindlesperger, referring to the initial decision overturning the ban, "We feel the justice's decision was strong and we're confident in the ruling."
The city says other organizations had filed legal briefs in support of the city's appeal. Those organizations include the National Alliance for Hispanic Health and the National Association of Local Boards of Health, as well as 30 others.
Bloomberg has made public health a cornerstone of his administration, from requiring calorie counts to be posted on menus and barring trans fats in restaurant foods.
new york city, sugary drinks ban, sugary drinks, michael bloomberg, new york news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 23 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams