New York News
Staten Island Ferris wheel approved by community board
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City community board has given its blessing to what's billed as the world's largest Ferris wheel.
The approval Tuesday has some strings attached.
The Staten Island Advance says it requires 100 percent of the city's revenue from the lease to be used for improvements in that borough.
The proposed New York Wheel would have a view of the Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor and the Manhattan skyline.
The $500 million project also includes an outlet mall and hotel.
Developers also need approval from the borough president, the City Planning Commission, the City Council and the mayor.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has already promoted the project.
new york city, staten island, new york news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 17 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos