New York News
Suspect missing after standoff on the Lower East Side
LOWER EAST SIDE (WABC) -- Police descended on a Lower East Side apartment building on Wednesday, but after an hours long standoff, a possible suspect in a past homicide was missing.
Authorities say officers were communicating with someone inside an apartment on Madison Street.
When police first arrived to the apartment to execute a warrant just after 7:30 a.m., they were met with residents who refused to open the door, officials said.
When the standoff ended shortly afternoon, officers only found family members of the suspect inside the apartment.
Police say 31 year old Jimmy Siders is wanted for arrest in connection with the 2010 murder of a Pace University student and marijuana dealer.
Officers from the NYPD's Warrant Squad arrived with an arrest warrant at his apartment shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday morning. Police say his wheelchair bound mother opened the door but would not let the officers in.
Detectives thought they saw Siders inside before she closed the door and began negotiating with the mother to let them in.
After more than six hours they finally convince the mother to let them inside. They found the mother and four children, ages 12 to 19, but not Siders. Apparently they mistook Siders' 17 year old brother for the suspect when they looked into the apartment.
None of the family members were arrested, although they weren't entirely cooperative. Detectives wanted to confirm that Siders wasn't inside and coercing the mother. The hunt continues for him.
Police are searching for Siders inthe death of Max Moreno, 21, who is described as a low level drug dealer who was killed in his Gold Street apartment building in Lower Manhattan on Sept. 29, 2010.
Two men were caught on camera fleeing the scene, and the NYPD released that surveillance video. 30 year old Raymond Rizzo and 30 year old Randy Colon were subsequently arrested and charged in the killing.
Authorities say Moreno was selling marijuana out of his apartment's 37th floor when he was killed after selling to a man and woman.
new york city, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 45 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 8 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014