New York News
Woman recovers after Staten Island playground shooting
NEW BRIGHTON (WABC) -- From her hospital room, Alexandria Ruiz tells Eyewitness News reporter Kemberly Richardson that she still cannot believe what happened to her on Saturday night.
Alexandria says she is still in pain after she happened to be walking through her home when a bullet pierced a double pane glass window, flew through the living room and hit her. The bullet passed straight through her shoulder, and then ended up lodged in a wall.
When Alexandria was asked whether she felt the bullet hit her, she said she did not feel it at all.
"I didn't know what was going on, I saw blood, went inside and called my husband," Alexandria adds.
Jose Ruiz, is the one who told his wife she had just been shot.
"I went to my room, grabbed two tank tops, and I applied pressure onto her wounds and called 911," Jose said.
This unsettling chain of events started outside across the street in Mahoney Playground at about 9:40 Saturday night, even though the park is supposed to close at dark.
Witnesses say a lone gunman wearing a gray hoodie walked up the stairs towards the basketball court and started firing.
14-year-old Noah Johnson couldn't get out of the way. The 14-year-old, who just graduated from middle school was hit twice in the chest.
"We ran over there to save the boy, trying to keep him still," says neighbor Stephanie Johnson.
Alexandria's sister-in-law was also inside the home when that stray bullet came through - a bullet that just missed the window to her daughter's bedroom.
"It could have been the kids. My sister-in-law could have been worse," said the victim's relative, Jessica Serrano, "I no longer feel safe here."
new york city, staten island, shooting, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 34 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos