New York News
9-year-old Bronx girl out of hospital; 1 arrest made
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year-old Bronx girl is out of the hospital after being shot in the stomach, and a suspect has surrendered to police.
Amanda Chauan left Jacobi Medical Center with her family on Sunday morning.
Billie James, Jr., has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police believe he's the person who fired at least six bullets around 9:30 p.m. on Bailey Street in Kingsbridge Friday.
The little brother Amanda was playing ball with when she was hit told Eyewitness News how happy the family is to have her home.
Amanda suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," eyewitness Sammy Fernandez said.
James surrendered to police late Sunday. He is charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Amanda's cousin, Raymond Rivera.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news, lucy yang
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos