New York News
9-year-old Bronx girl out of hospital; 1 arrest made
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year-old Bronx girl is out of the hospital after being shot in the stomach, and a suspect has surrendered to police.
Amanda Chauan left Jacobi Medical Center with her family on Sunday morning.
Billie James, Jr., has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police believe he's the person who fired at least six bullets around 9:30 p.m. on Bailey Street in Kingsbridge Friday.
The little brother Amanda was playing ball with when she was hit told Eyewitness News how happy the family is to have her home.
Amanda suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," eyewitness Sammy Fernandez said.
James surrendered to police late Sunday. He is charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Amanda's cousin, Raymond Rivera.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news, lucy yang
- Americans on board missing Malaysia Airlines flight ID'd 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 9 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing Malaysia...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos