New York News
9-year-old Bronx girl out of hospital; 1 arrest made
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year-old Bronx girl is out of the hospital after being shot in the stomach, and a suspect has surrendered to police.
Amanda Chauan left Jacobi Medical Center with her family on Sunday morning.
Billie James, Jr., has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police believe he's the person who fired at least six bullets around 9:30 p.m. on Bailey Street in Kingsbridge Friday.
The little brother Amanda was playing ball with when she was hit told Eyewitness News how happy the family is to have her home.
Amanda suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," eyewitness Sammy Fernandez said.
James surrendered to police late Sunday. He is charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Amanda's cousin, Raymond Rivera.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news, lucy yang
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash