New York News
9-year-old Bronx girl out of hospital; 1 arrest made
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year-old Bronx girl is out of the hospital after being shot in the stomach, and a suspect has surrendered to police.
Amanda Chauan left Jacobi Medical Center with her family on Sunday morning.
Billie James, Jr., has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police believe he's the person who fired at least six bullets around 9:30 p.m. on Bailey Street in Kingsbridge Friday.
The little brother Amanda was playing ball with when she was hit told Eyewitness News how happy the family is to have her home.
Amanda suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," eyewitness Sammy Fernandez said.
James surrendered to police late Sunday. He is charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Amanda's cousin, Raymond Rivera.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news, lucy yang
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford 33 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing 43 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos