New York News
9-year-old Bronx girl out of hospital; 1 arrest made
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year-old Bronx girl is out of the hospital after being shot in the stomach, and a suspect has surrendered to police.
Amanda Chauan left Jacobi Medical Center with her family on Sunday morning.
Billie James, Jr., has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police believe he's the person who fired at least six bullets around 9:30 p.m. on Bailey Street in Kingsbridge Friday.
The little brother Amanda was playing ball with when she was hit told Eyewitness News how happy the family is to have her home.
Amanda suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," eyewitness Sammy Fernandez said.
James surrendered to police late Sunday. He is charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Amanda's cousin, Raymond Rivera.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news, lucy yang
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 30 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 5 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
1 min ago