New York News
Rikers Island guards charged with smuggling drugs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A pair of New York City correction officers accused of selling drugs on the job.
Austin Romain and Khalif Phillips face federal charges after prosecutors say they sold marijuana to inmates inside Rikers Island.
They're also accused of smuggling marijuana, cigarettes and scalpels into the facility.
Each faces 10 years in prison if convicted.
The pair was arrested on Monday.
new york city, rikers island, new york news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 10 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen 18 min ago
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 53 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead 37 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
53 min ago