New York News
Birth year wrong on New York City Mayor Ed Koch's tombstone
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The late mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, might not like his tombstone if he could see it.
Koch planned his own funeral in great detail, but when it came to engraving the tombstone, well, he had to leave that to someone else.
And they got it wrong.
The tombstone says Koch was born in 1942, but he was actually born in 1924, 18 years earlier.
The engraver, Tommy Flynn, of Flynn Funeral and Cremation Memorial Services, says it was "an inadvertent error" and that he feels "terrible." He says he'll correct it.
Koch was buried in Trinity Church cemetery in Washington Heights after dying of congestive heart failure in February at 88.
The Democratic mayor is credited with helping save New York from its economic crisis in the 1970s and leading it to financial rebirth.
new york city, famous deaths, ed koch, new york news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 12 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 30 min ago
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 29 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 10 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
3 min ago