New York News
Birth year wrong on New York City Mayor Ed Koch's tombstone
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The late mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, might not like his tombstone if he could see it.
Koch planned his own funeral in great detail, but when it came to engraving the tombstone, well, he had to leave that to someone else.
And they got it wrong.
The tombstone says Koch was born in 1942, but he was actually born in 1924, 18 years earlier.
The engraver, Tommy Flynn, of Flynn Funeral and Cremation Memorial Services, says it was "an inadvertent error" and that he feels "terrible." He says he'll correct it.
Koch was buried in Trinity Church cemetery in Washington Heights after dying of congestive heart failure in February at 88.
The Democratic mayor is credited with helping save New York from its economic crisis in the 1970s and leading it to financial rebirth.
new york city, famous deaths, ed koch, new york news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- NYC 's smoking ban to include e-cigarettes 30 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos