New York News
Brooklyn man arrested in alleged dog fighting ring
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn man is under arrest after police say he trained and conditioned dogs to participate in organized fights.
Seven pit bulls and animal fighting equipment was reportedly seized from the home of 39-year-old Leslie Alexander, who is charged with 22 counts of prohibition of animal fighting, seven counts of overdriving, torturing and injuring animals and criminal possession of a weapon.
NYPD officers executed a search warrant at Alexander's Boyland Street home in search of guns and drugs on May 24. While in the house, they found the dogs and various equipment used to train and condition dogs for fighting.
Among the training equipment found in the home were approximately 25 dog kennels, scales with rope attachments used to strengthen the dogs' jaws, hypodermic syringes, two dog treadmills to build stamina and a breaking stick, which is used to break a dog's grip on another animal or object.
Officers also discovered that the garage had been converted into an arena for dog fighting and training.
The officers also recovered a .40-caliber handgun and boxes of ammunition.
Animal Care and Control officers on the scene impounded the dogs, some of which appeared to be underweight and which bore scars and signs of recent trauma consistent with dog fighting.
"Animal fighting is not a sport," District Attorney Charles Hynes said. "It is a barbaric and inhumane practice and a serious crime."
Alexander will be arraigned on July 2. If convicted, he could face up to seven years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
new york city, brooklyn, dog, new york news, kemberly richardson
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 48 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos