New York News
FBI releases new footage in 2008 Times Square bomb
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Federal authorities on Tuesday released new images and video of the March 2008 attack at the military recruiting station in Times Square.
Investigators believe the attack is linked to two earlier bombings at foreign consulates, outside the British Consulate in 2005 and the Mexican Consulate in 2007.
In the video, the suspect is seen from dozens of surveillance camera angles riding his bicycle through the streets of Manhattan.
Agents have also released a photo of the device used at Times Square.
The FBI announced a $65,000 reward for information leading to the suspect's arrest.
The device used in the bombing was made from an ammunition can and was described at the time as unsophisticated, but the FBI now believes it was more powerful than the devices used in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The explosive device was built using an ammunition can commonly found on the battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was filled halfway with black powder and detonated using a time fuse. Although no one was wounded, the device could have caused significant casualties if people had been close to the blast.
It was detonated at 3:45 a.m., with few people around. There was minor damage to the landmark military recruiting station.
Anyone with information on any of the three bombings is encouraged to call the FBI at 212-384-1000. Tipsters may remain anonymous.
The FBI and the NYPD will be using the hash tag #BikeBomber to disseminate information about the attacks and to solicit information.
The photos and video are also being displayed on digital billboards throughout the northeast, including in Times Square.
new york city, times square, explosion, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 57 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 48 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 36 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 43 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
7 min ago